Monday, February 22, 2010

Busy, Busy Bread and Cake!

The Bread
Last Friday I performed a "test run" of what I had chosen to do for my bread project (which is due in class on Wednesday - that's 2 days from now).  The project has to be a lean yeast bread (basically, a yeast bread containing little to no fat) and we are supposed to make and bake the recipe and bring it to class with us for Anne to evaluate and everyone to sample.  I had originally decided to make Pesto Garland Bread.  Sounds yummy, right?  That's why I chose it.  I have only a few things to say about this bread:
  1. It's a LOT of steps (translate:  a lot of dirty dishes)
  2. It takes a LONG time to complete
  3. It's not so great
Don't get me wrong... the bread recipe itself came out fine (looks, smell, texture, etc).  I just didn't really like it.  And I kind of thought it wasn't so beautiful for the amount of work that went into it.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the finished product before the weekend got away from me.  I'll get better at this blogging thing, I promise!  So, I've changed my recipe choice for my bread project.  Today I'm going to test run making Amish Pretzels.  I hope I like these better.  I don't really know why I am so worried about it being a delicious recipe.  Probably because my whole class will be sampling it.  Wish me luck!

The Cake
The rest of the weekend was packed full with a Wedding Cake class that was Saturday and Sunday 9-6.  Let me just say... I am oh-so-tired.  And, I get to do it again next weekend!  However, the class was a lot of fun and I learned a lot of new things as well as got a chance to sharpen some of my basic decorating skills.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that I am getting better at making even basic decorator flowers.   We worked in groups of three to make a 2 tiered, stacked cake.  For those of you who know me and/or have attempted to work with me in the kitchen, then you know that I AM A TOTAL CONTROL FREAK.  Add that lovely personality trait to an ever-present lack of confidence and a need to excel at whatever I am doing, and you can surely imagine my strife.  Now, before you go making up ugly scenarios of "Little Miss Bossy-Bossy", let me put your mind at ease by letting you know that I handled the situation with -I think- a lot of grace.  Emily and Reyna were sweet and fun.  Not everything went super smoothly, but that's pretty much real life, isn't it?  Overall I think we did pretty well and I am reasonably happy with the end result. 

No comments:

Post a Comment